Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chicago- The Windy City

What is it that makes Chicago one of the best visited cities in the world? Maybe it's there mouth-watering deep-dish pizza, or their world famous Chicago dog. Well, there's a lot more to Chicago than just their delicious food. For the time of me being there, which was one a weekend to visit a friend, I learned a lot about Chicago and it really wasn't what I expected--meaning that in a good way.  The EL train was probably my most favorite, and simply because you get to see the people of Chicago--from hipsters to business people.  Yes, Chicago may have some of the most spectacular buildings in the United States but it's not the material things that should be appreciated, it is the nature that is most beautiful.  The parks where you see many people running alone or with their dogs, having a picnic atop a hill looking out at Lake Michigan, reading a book sitting on a cliff looking at the best view Chicago has to offer (in my opinion), or maybe it is just sitting in a park admiring the beautiful fall foliage.  Although I didn't get to experience riding on the water taxi across Lake Michigan nor riding the carousel at Navy Pier but I can't complain about the things I did do!  Walking everywhere was a plus, it was nice not to have to use gas in a car, plus the workout we get walking everywhere is awesome! Countless trips to Starbucks were in my itinerary for the weekend, there were ones literally on every boulevard; the coffee-lover will never go thirsty I must say.  A must is to make a trip to the Sears tower (even though it is called a different name now, everyone still calls it the Sears tower) and check out the skydeck--the view is best when it is clear but even if it is foggy it is still a nice view--and see if you are brave enough to step out onto the glass ledge! When you're leaving don't forget to stop by the gift shop where they have some yummy Chicago dog's--my Chicago native friend I was visiting even said these were the best--and although I am not a hotdog lover, I am glad I tried one. Everything to me was beautiful about Chicago.. the city, the people, the fall foliage, and believe it or not the peace and quiet.  Make sure to put Chicago on your itinerary one day, it is a great place to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment